This isn’t rocket science – it’s just a little piece from the heart I wanted to share. Or maybe I should credit my trusty “Keychain Yoda” – the McYoda version of Widsom, since he did come from a Happy Meal after all..
- Phone instead of email. For any email that you know will take you longer than 2 minutes to compose, use the phone instead. A phone call gives you a chance to connect to a human voice, share a few laughs, and will generally give you a boost of energy.
- Write a compliment. Think of a vendor or client who really helped you out, and thank them somehow. This can be a LinkedIn recommendation, a Google Review, an email, a card, or a tweet. That way you can go home feeling you spread something positive.
- Quick Walk. Between major projects in your day, take a quick walk outside to clear your mental slate. Invite someone along with you (if you like them well enough!).
- Switch the music you listen to as you work. Just having something new to listen to will boost your creative problem solving, and shake things up.
- Get someone’s “backstory.” This is my favourite. If you are lucky enough to chat or meet with someone today, whether a vendor, salesman, or colleague, ask them how they ended up in the business they’re in. It’s a polite way of getting a snapshot of someone’s life story. It also opens up a real chance at building a friendship, giving you inspiration, or solidifying a great working relationship.
What works for you? Got any ideas for me? I’d love to hear them!